[pmmail-list] Spam -- your definition

PMMail OS/2 Support pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 30 May 2002 13:47:56 -0300

On Thu, 30 May 2002 09:21:37 -0700, David M. Nelson wrote:

>Regarding item 5, I wrote my anti-spam filter to
>look for "to be removed" and other similar text. It's proven quite
>effective, with very few false positives.

[Justifying his abuse of this list, Trevor replies:]

Aha, great idea! I may add that to my spam filter.

>Junk snail-mail is often mentioned as justification for spam. The
>difference is that the sender bears most of the burden of cost in
>traditional mail, which has the side benefit of subsidizing the postal
>service. In e-mail, the balance of cost has shifted significantly
>towards the recipient, and does nothing to benefit the messaging
>infrastructure. Rather, many spammers try to use open mail relays,
>which actually harms the infrastructure.

True, but that's theft of resources, like if I took my bulk paper
mail and tried to put it in someone's office mail and hoped they
would pay to send it. It's not the content of the mail or the amount
of it, it's the fact that I'm trying to use someone else's system
without their permission that makes it wrong.

--
Trevor Smith
PMMail/2 Technical Support