[pmmail-list] Spam -- your definition

Robert Gammon pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 30 May 2002 13:29:05 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 30 May 2002 17:15:31 +0100, Brian Morrison wrote:

>>>number of things I have bought that I found out about in this
way. If I
>>>had as many unsolicited commercial phone calls as I get
individual
>>>unsolicited email (50 a day on bad days) then I would have
blown an
>>>artery by now, every call would be met with a torrent of anger
and

>>True, but emails are MUCH easier to deal with than a phone
call. You
>>don't need to get up to answer them, you can delete them in
much less
>>time than it takes to extricate yourself from a phone call
(even if
>>that's only 3 seconds). So a higher frequency of email, but
easier to
>>deal with each.
>
>Disagree, I *never* get 50 phone calls of this type in a day, 1
is
>exceptional. But every day I have to deal with spam,
collectively it
>wastes a lot more of my life.

Until I changed my phone number, twice in the last 18 months,
telemarketing calls and 'dead' calls - those that go 'click' as
soon as you say something, DOMINATED incoming calls.  No, not 50
per day, but easily a dozen or more AFTER we got home from work
at the peak, and 5-6 most days.

Robert