[pmmail-list] Spam -- your definition

Richard Grevers pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 31 May 2002 08:44:50 +1200

On Thu, 30 May 2002 09:50:43 -0500, Oberon wrote:

>On Thu, 30 May 2002 08:43:55 -0600 (MDT), Ann Knight wrote:
>
>> UCE/UBE (my definition of "spam") is theft. Telemarketers don't call me collect
>
>No, but they call on the phone you pay to have in your home.  This analogy is
>closer to what happens with spam in most cases than your analogy.  Many of us
>don't pay by the piece for our e-mail, it's a flat subscription rate, same as
>your home phone line.  To that end, I tell telemarketers that I will listen
>to their pitch when I receive a contribution toward my phone bill.

But some of us do pay by volume. In New Zealand, nearly all broadband access is
volume-charged (1Gb per month at base price, 20c per Mb thereafter, in my case).

And with email access by cellphone becoming more common, (and 100% data charged)
I would never want to clear most of my accounts via cellphone. A couple remain
spam-free and text-only

--
This mail is a natural product.  The slight variations in spelling and
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.