[pmmail-list] HTML mail again (was: PMMail 2000 Update)

Gregory L. Marx pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 31 May 2002 06:51:37 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 30 May 2002 10:16:49 -0700 (PDT), Steve Wendt wrote:

>>1. Yes, that would have been the much better way to evolve a solution
>>for text markup in email -- something that is based on plaintext
>>equivalents so noncompliant readers could see it more or less as it
>>was meant, too. Too bad it didn't work out that way.
>
>??? It still can.  ;)

Really ???  Something different than RTF or HTML ...

For me, personally, after I read Trevor's comment on the idea that most people really just want to be able to "handle" HTML email but not
necessarily send it themselves, I had to stop and think about that for a minute ...

And if I look at it honestly, he's right - at least in my case ... can't speak for anyone else ...
Even at work where we use Exchange/Outlook and HTML email use/abuse is rampant I STILL don't use it ...

Instead RTF seems to satisfy me ...

A question for those that use HTML email whether at work or home via a Windows-based email client:
I've noticed at the office that opening a HTML formatted email takes anywhere from 2 to 3 times as long as RTF or plain-text ...

Is that something that occurs for others as well ???
Or is it a weakness of Exchange in general ... or our email system ???

Anyone have any thoughts on why this occurs ???
(maybe this should be responded to via private email)

TIA
Gregory L. Marx