[pmmail-list] SPAM filtering with PopFile

Freenet.Listen pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sat, 23 Nov 2002 16:05:29 +0100

On Sat, 23 Nov 2002 08:51:57 -0500, Phil Morgan wrote:

>>>Does anyone know if Perl + PopFile can be made to work with PMMail
>>>(the PopFile readme addresses a variety of other email programs)?

>>>My initial read of the "instructions" found them very unspecific
>>>and they may require "testing" many paths before the correct one is
>>>found.

>>Come on! There is nothing more to do than to replace your POP server
>>with 127.0.0.1 and your User ID with "POP server:User Id". Don't
>>forget to copy "Run POPfile in background" to your Autostart folder.

>PM:  Sorry if I'm not to quick with this - the Perl stuff is new to
>me.

Forget about Perl. Didn't I tell you POPfile is unintrusive? :-)

>I understood the part for reconfiguring servers in PMMail but was
>confounded by all the "pl insert.pl" Perl commands (seemed like they
>were replacements for setting up filters in PMMail.   Also, I
>couldn't imagine where to put them ... Startup folder batch file?
>Somewhere in PMMail, etc. ??

You don't need to. Only copy "Run POPfile in background" to your
Startup folder, run it once manually. Then try "POPfile user
interface": Your browser opens and you can configure POPfile.

I switched "Classification insertion" to off: I don't like subject
modifications.

Now create some buckets, i.e. "spam" and "nospam", reconfigure PMMail
as i told you and your done. Fetch some mail. Start POPfile user
interface again, look under history. You can train POPfile on-the-fly
by reclassifying its decisions.

The insert.pl stuff is only to give POPfile some extra trainig. Copy
some old spam mails to a new PMMail folder, locate it on the disk
(i.e. zzz.FLD), then start:

   perl insert.pl spam x:/PMMAIL/yyyyyy.act/zzz.FLD/*.msg

Note: slashes, not backslashes!

Now copy some non-spam to another folder and repeat with

   perl insert.pl nospam x:/PMMAIL/yyyyyy.act/nnn.FLD/*.msg

Don't feed it too much examples: The word count increases, performance
decreases.

Now inspect the headers of some mails you fetched through POPfile:
They got an additional header line like "X-Text-Classification:
nospam". That's what you can trigger PMMail filters with.

Regards,
        Robert