[pmmail-list] Netiquette (was Re: HTML formatting in PMMail)

Simon Bowring pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 14:23:03 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 25 Nov 2002 19:46:45 -0500, Phil Morgan wrote:

>PM:  If it strips it of the tags, what's the problem?
I suggest you search the archives (any archive of any technical=20
mailing list or newsgroup, not just this one)! Wars have been=20
fought about far lesser issues!  I also do not want to=20
start *yet another* HTML email mass-debate in this forum!!!  ;-)

Suffice to say many people like/want html emails, and many others=20
hate/don't-want them (both camps have their own "good" reasons of=20
course, and often members of either camp cannotor will not see the=20
logic of the "other-side")!

So, in general, all other things being equal, (like if you're
communicating with strangers), it is good netiquette to use=20
plain-text=B9 only (as interational standards and God originally=20
intended - and not the mess that MS and NS corporations have=20
forced upon us, as part of their commercial battle to gain a=20
monopoly of the feckin' web-broswer market FFS which is the=20
primary-reason that the ill-concieved and ill-specified so-called=20
"HTML email" mess exists). Damn - I think I just may have given=20
away which camp I'm in? Or perhaps I got away with it?  ;-)

Of course, this is especially important where there are a mix of=20
users on different platforms, operating systems, mail clients (
and their capabilities) and network transports etc etc  (Wait
aminute, that's generally known as the INTERnet)!=20
                                       ~~~~~=20
That's "inter" as in "INTERoperate," "INTERwork," etc ;-)

Regards

Simon
--
=B9Not only that, best practice is still generally accepted to be to
 use plain-text with hard new-lines, with line-lengths of less than