[pmmail-list] Fwd: Mem Leak in Recent Betas

Bill pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 23:50:51 -0700

On Fri, 11 Oct 2002 07:33:13 +0200 (MES), L.Willms wrote:

>   The design change should, in my view, consist in using real database index
>files, but not for the whole message, only for the indexed data. This would
>enable PMMail also to implement a tree view of threads.

Yes, but please, please, please do not put all messages in a single
database.  I have already had to discard other mailers that do this.
The problem is that you get one new little message, and your whole
multiple-megabyte database file is marked for archival; this used to
make my nightly backups take forever when my entire repository of
e-mail messages, thousands of them, had to be backed up every night
just because they were well all kept within a single file.

This is basically why I migrated to PMMail, to be able to have one
message equal one OS file.

- Bill G.