[pmmail-list] Filter question

Tim Roberts pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 11:42:45 -0700

On Wed, 16 Oct 2002 16:53:01 +0200, Norbert Schmidt wrote:

>Hello Paul,
>
>>>  Even if you did install REXX on Win32, it wouldn't use a .CMD
>>>  extension.
>>So?  I install Regina Rexx, and it is set up to automatically
>>recognise the .REXX and .REX extensions; or you can explicitly tell
>>regina to interpret a file whose name happens to end in .CMD or .BAT
>>if you prefer.
>
>it's the same with hooks written in perl or any other scripting
>language: You have to explicitly start the interpreter with the script
>name as parameter.

That's not so on NT/2K/XP.  Certain extensions can be "associated" with a
processor, so that programmatically launching xxx.rex or xxx.py or xxx.pl
automatically launches the Rexx or Python or Perl interpreter as required.
In fact, you can set the PATHEXT environment variable from a shell prompt to
get it to search for .PY or .REX extensions for command in exactly the same
way it now searches for .COM, .EXE, .BAT and .CMD.

>>How about implementing a "windows scripting host" in PMMail?
>Then scripts written in VBScript, JScript (or PerlScript for me;-))

PythonScript for me....

>could be used directly without the detour of using "wscript" to execute
>it. More important: There could be some interfaces to internal
>functions and data of PMMail.

This is a great idea, and it would enable me to throw away the mail reader
I'm building myself, but this is a _HUGE_ job.  If PMMail has not already
been architected with centralized command dispatch and scripting in mind,
exporting a reasonable object model would require almost a complete rewrite.

I really admire the thorough support Microsoft has for this in the Office
suite.  It takes a lot of work to create AND MAINTAIN those object models.

--
- Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.