[pmmail-list] HELO - Not...Re: Another new beta 2627 posted

Rich pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 05 Sep 2002 11:05:27 -0400

On Thu, 05 Sep 2002 07:42:05 +0200 (MES), L.Willms wrote:

>On Wed, 04 Sep 2002 22:50:24 -0400, Rich wrote:
>
>> HELO being the same from two different accounts on the same computer =
is the
>whole point.
>> Not only do I have a half dozen different 'domains' that I send/recei=
ve
>from, but I work for a
>> company from here (as opposed to 'there'). When I send an e-mail from=
 that
>company account,
>> it would be better for the e-mail to reflect that.
>
>   You are mixing up SMTP (RFC 2821), the mail transport, with its Mail=

>Transfer Agents, and the MAIL document, with its authors, originators, =

>senders, recipients, etc.

Maybe, but I was just replying to the refered RFC-821. I've now gotten R=
FC-2821 and read
through that one...

>   Well, the letter rule is not practical, in my opinion, for all the p=
rivate
>PCs and SOHO networks which link to the Internet via a dial-up connecti=
on and
>which do not have names assigned in the domain name system. The IP addr=
ess,
>which I have given my PC in my local net, which is given as an alternat=
ive in
>section 3.6 of RFC 2821 is not a sensible alternative, in my humble opi=
nion.

I completely agree. Looks like the people responsible for this RFC have =
totally ignored the fact
that most common users have dial-up connections and have no way to add a=
 EHLO domain
that can be traced back to them and registered with IANA...

>   But anyway, If the SMTP client would read the sender's address and u=
se the
>domain part of that as the domain in the EHLO command, this would resul=
t quite
>confusing e.g. in the case of the several million clients of T-Online w=
hich
>would all identify themselves as "EHLO t-online.de", and this vis =E0 v=
is the
>T-Online mail servers. Can't make sense, right?

I really don't think so. True, it may be more confusing to have a millio=
n "t-online.de" for the
EHLO, but what would those million customers have as PC names, which are=
 totally
meaningless in the first place. And they can change those name any time =
they wish. How many
Dell customers are sending out the default "Preffered Customer" that Del=
l installs on their
boxes? In light of the new RFC, it looks like the great writers of the r=
ules have messed up this
time...

On the bright side, I may have just solved one of my complaints with PMM=
ail. All I have to do is
rename my computer to "Preferred Customer" and I'll just look like one o=
f the millions of Dell
machines on the net ;-)

Thanks for the info!

Rich...

>    Find RFCs at http://www.rfc-editor.org/
>
>Yours,
>L=FCko Willms
>Frankfurt/Main

******
Practice Random Acts of Kindness and Senseless...Umm...Uhh....
  Oh - Heck...I never could remember all that "nice" stuff.