[pmmail-list] Built-in Anti-Spam

Wendell Brown pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 06 Sep 2002 09:48:44 -0500

On Fri, 06 Sep 2002 16:30:27 +0200, Markus Baertschi wrote:

>This is a feature I'd like to see very much in PMMail:
>Built-in anti-SPAM features. A good source for inspiration
>is spampal (www.spampal.org), a small anti-spam utility.
>Especially the dnsbl features are very useful and could
>be implemented as filter features.

I'm using SpamBouncer (http://www.spambouncer.com/) it uses procmail on
the Linux server to tag messages as spam (or bounce them if configured
that way).  Even if your not on Linux, it's worth downloading the
module and looking through the source of the procmail filters... there
are hundreds that "score" each message and total score decides what
"type" of message it is (OK, Spam, Virus, Blocked).  I have my copy set
to simply add headers and I let PM-Mail filter on those headers (moving
spam, blocked and viruses into appropriate folders).  Here is a sample
header that SpamBouncer adds:

"Small Fry" means that this e-mail came from a known spammer.  "Haven
Domain" means that the ISP he uses is spammer friendly.  It also has
options that can be configured to check black holes and MANY other much
more aggressive methods of identifying spam.