[pmmail-list] Built-in Anti-Spam

L.Willms pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sat, 07 Sep 2002 08:50:13 +0200 (MES)

On Sat, 07 Sep 2002 01:02:38 +0200 (CDT), Winfried Tilanus wrote:

> http://www.xs4all.nl/~wtilanus/spam.html
>
> I got so fed up with the spam, I wrote a script for that.

   How do you call your script? By a filter? As a script to be run on Message
Receive?

   You change the mail file, actually reading in the complete message into a
stem, deleting its file and writing it out again from the stem. This can take
quite a lot of time, especially if there are any attachments; just imagine a
KLEZ virus with 140 kilobytes of Text...

   After that, another filter has to read the file header again to act on the
line which your script may have added to the message file.

   Did you try out calling the spamcheck in a filter by the PROGRAM criterion?
It would then be enough to scan the headerlines, and write the result in
another file which is handed to the script as second parameter. The content of
that file is compared by the filter to a value given in the condition, and
then you can act on that result.

   This approach would be much faster.

   Like this:
     PROGRAM.<C:\comms\BPSW\TOOLS\spamcheck.cmd> = "Spam warning"

   When you try that out, use messages from the trash folder, I did trash some
messages in my experiments till I arrived at the right configuration.

Yours,
Lüko Willms