[pmmail-list] Splitting data and executable

Norbert Schmidt pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sat, 07 Sep 2002 21:01:58 +0200

Hello Reinhard,

>> I would suggest that you *NEVER* use spaces in folder names. It might
>> even be safer if you stick to ancient 8.3 conventions and only use
>> upper case letters.
>?????
>
>I've been using PMMail/2 for years and never encountered problems with
>spaces in folder names. Filters work as expected (I never used the external
>program hook), some folder names even contain special chars like '&' or '/'.
>
>PMMail creates its own folder names on the file system level using the 8.3
>convention, so I don't have to care about that.

oops, confusion of terms ... %-)

What I meant was the directory path to the PMMail account directory. Of
course you are absolutely right about the folder names as PMMail keeps
them internally and how they are represented as subdirectories (8.3).
They don't matter in this context and you can name them whatever you
want.

The problem with program hooks could be avoided if either PMMail put
"quotation marks" around the message file name or - better yet - use
the short (mangled) path name.

Regards,
Norbert