[pmmail-list] Keyboards (Was: A couple of 2634 wish list items....)

Rod... Whitworth pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 13 Sep 2002 20:46:07 +1000

On Fri, 13 Sep 2002 11:19:08 +0100, Paul Hodges wrote:

>Electronics doesn't mind getting wet, so long as it isn't operated in
>that state.  I once dropped a (running) Sony Professional Walkman
>into a fish pond.  I removed the battery and tape immediately, ran
>under the tap, and dried it over a radiator for three days.  At the
>end it worked and was completely within spec - I still have it 12
>years on.  The tape was ruined, of course!

Exactly! My first experience was in 1962 when a flood went through an
IBM building in western Sydney. A Tektronix scope covered in mud hosed
out and dried in hot air slowly and thoroughly. It didn't even need
re-cal.

We were a bit impatient with some of the unit record equiment (=punch
card stuff for real people) and the relays exloded when the water
expanded to 1670 times its original volume as it turned to steam.

In the early days of micro computers I used to shock the delicate by
taking keyboards apart and flushing them with detergent and water, then
sun-drying them (this IS Australia) after a decent rinse in 10% meths
and distilled water.

BTW Tektronix told us when I was at IBM that they commonly washed
scopes in water when they went in for refurbs.

Just make sure there is absolutely NO water left in there!

R/

"Write a wise saying and your name will live on forever."  - Anonymous