[pmmail-list] Message hoses v.2657

Patrick R. Sklenar pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 08:35:56 -0400

On Mon, 16 Sep 2002 08:23:35 -0400, Allan McLane wrote:

> While retrieving this message PMMail causes W2K to totally
> bog down and I can't even get the task-manager to come up
> to see what resources PMMail is using. I have to power-down
> the machine to regain control ;[.

Allan,

	Are you, by any chance, running Zone Alarm v3.x?  I've had the
same problem happen several times in recent weeks and had been ready to
blame it totally on PMMail.  However, a week or two ago, someone posted
to the list that they had Task Manager up when this problem manifested
itself and that they saw one of the ZA programs peg the CPU.  I've
since shut down ZA and have gone nearly a week without seeing this
happen.

	While I'm not thrilled to be running w/o ZA, at least I have a
hardware firewall to provide primary protection.  ZA really only ever
stopped outgoing apps ... and I've not had a trojan sneak into my
system yet. <fingers crossed>

	Anyhow, it's just a thought.

--
	pat----