[pmmail-list] Any thought of developing....

Rod... Whitworth pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 09:26:55 +1000

On Wed, 25 Sep 2002 14:38:26 +0100 (BST), Simon Bowring wrote:

>>The problem is there is NOT a PMM product for small business where
>>sharing is VERY important.
>Huh? Just use an LDAP based central address book (or set of books).

And you have implemented that for how many customers?

It means setting up an LDAP server and training users to use it. It is
hardly a solution you would seriously suggest to small business.

When LDAP is transparent to users it works otherwise forget it. You try
showing a user how to capture a sender's address to LDAP with
PMmail....

PMmail will be viable if it addresses the needs of small business. Then
it can move to a common codebase that rewards the OS/2 diehards because
that means that an OS/2 version is just another compile (almost!)

At present the biggest single hurdle for SMBs is the address book. At
the moment I can sell Domino (or let the opposition do it) or watch my
customers go back to Outlook. The former is expensive the latter is a
hazard but try to tell the customers who cannot mail to an entire book
with PMM or change a major client's address at just one workstation and
have it available to all.