[pmmail-list] PMINews and PMMail for OS/2

John Angelico pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 10:57:37 +1000 (EST)

On Wed, 25 Sep 2002 09:02:29 -0400, jimmym@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
wrote:

>Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 09:02:36 +0100 (BST)
>From: "Simon Bowring" <sbowring@mpc-data.co.uk>
>Subject: Re: [pmmail-list] Any thought of developing....
>
>On Tue, 24 Sep 2002 17:47:46 -0700 (PDT), Steve Wendt wrote:
>
>>How many people is that, really?
>Well I don't know, but it certainly me and a coupel of others
>here!  I imagine a significant number of OS/2 PMMail users use
>it's companion program PMInews for news!

Although I don't do a lot of news, yes I am another hand representing
PMINews. The common address book is quite useful, and the similar
interfaces make for comfortable work - for me.

>>I think it's more important to carry
>>PMMail forward, then to maintain some minimal compatibility with a progam
>>that was abandoned a number of years ago.
>Well that's equally an argument for abandoning the OS/2 version
>altogether!

Without wanting to inflame anything<g>, the way these statements are
expressed includes assumptions about abandon-ware.

>If PMMail loses it's PMInews integration, then users like me suffer
>yet another incremental ersosion of their functionality, and reasons for
>staying with PMMail and OS/2. If the existing address book integration
>can be kept without too much inconveninece some of us at least would
>like to keep it.

I would agree with Simon here, whilst acknowledging that
inconvenience/practicality may be a problem, and PMMail development should
receive a higher priority than compatibility.

>I'd like to improvements to the OS/2 version of PMMail, but it's pretty
>good as it is, and if I have to trade off features lost against
>features gained in a new version, then I may have to choose not
>to "up-and-down-grade" to that new version.

I am likewise happy enough with PMMail as it is, although there are things
that occasionally irritate. Aren't there always? That's what is supposed to
keep developers alive<g>.

Many thanks to Peter and Brandon for the refreshing change in both the
information flow and the pace of development. Let's enjoy the change,
encourage the work to continue, but let's not lose the focus on PMMail,
even while we try to be alert to integration issues elsewhere.

Best regards
John Angelico
OS/2 SIG
talldad@melbpc.org.au or talldad@kepl.com.au