[pmmail-list] Feature request - re dragging in PMMail 2000

Ralph Cohen pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 15:30:20 -0400

On Thu, 26 Sep 2002 14:12:33 +0100, Paul Hodges wrote:

>That's not the point - if you allow swipe to select multiple items in
>a Windows environment, then you have /changed/ the meaning of that
>gesture (from Move) and therefore not retained the integrity of the
>environment.  Although we may prefer the conventions of a different
>environment, applying them piecemeal in another place is a very bad
>move.

I have partially to disagree, Paul.  I have several Windows programs
that allow the LMB to be used to select multiple file instead of just
one.  These programs offer this as an option in the program
preferences.  For certain types of programs like PMMail and file
managers, it makes sense to enable this option.  So, while it may be
the default for Windows to limit the LMB to a single selection, the OS
is easily extensible to allow optional modes.

Ralph