[pmmail-list] Return receipts

Steve Marvin pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 07:35:30 -0400

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002 07:44:59 +0200 (MES), L.Willms wrote:

[clipped RFC explanation]

>    Menno Tillema's message which you replied to, explains how to create such
>a user hook -- a simple filter which is triggered by "h.Return-Receipt-To:".
>In case you want really to use the address given on that header, you can
>select to start an external program as the action. It is all in there, you
>just have to dig. Dig it?

I am quite aware of the RFC, but the usage of both Return-Receipt-To and
X-Confirm-Reading-To has become so common as to become almost
standard now.

I also have written a few user hooks, in rexx and C, and can easily parse
out the information I need.

The problem here, is that there are really only two ways to send a message
using filter actions:

    1. Bounce or Reply to - Uses the originators address
    2. Forward the message to a user, the address is stored in
        the filter.

So to have a user hook send a message to the address in either of the
tags in question one must:

    1. Send it yourself using smtp, a trivial piece of code - EXCEPT handling
         the possibility of an authenticated smtp connection or popsend...
    2. Modify the message in the user hook - preserve the from in
        something like "Really-From:" and replace the "From:" with
        the one you read from the tag in question.
    3. Make the filter a Forward to User and have the hook modify
        the filters file each time.

What I would prefer is an addition to the actions of the PROGRAM tag
to allow forwarding to the string in the result file, OR addition of a
FORWARD tag that does this leaving the PROGRAM tag alone.

What I would not like, is to have PMMail arbitrarily respond to either
of these tags.

I hope this is somewhat clearer than what I wrote hurriedly before.