[pmmail-list] exporting address book: ExpBook 2.0

L.Willms pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Mon, 07 Apr 2003 17:19:42 +0200 (MES)

On Fri, 04 Apr 2003 09:25:02 +1000, Bushy wrote:

> Is it possible to export the contents of just 1 of my 3 address books
to a text file?

  Yes, if you were using OS/2, with the just completed version 2.0 of my
address book export utility, ExpBook 2.0

  You can download it from: http://freesoft.willms-edv.de

  This is the README file (expbook.txt):

----- quote -------------------

  ExpBook.EXE 2.0              OS/2                      7. April 2003
  (c) Copyright by Lüko Willms, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
  support@willms-edv.de                http://freesoft.willms-edv.de

  This program exports one or more books from PMmail's address database.
You can get PMmail from http://www.pmmail2000.com

  ExpBook.exe needs OS/2 Presentation Manager.

  You can place the program whereever you want, it will find the TOOLS
directory with PMmail's addr.db and books.db files by looking up
PMmail's installation directory from the OS/2 INI files.

  The exported addresses will be written in a file whose base name is
taken from the name of the first address book selected, and with a file
extension depending on the format selected. The file will be written
into PMmail's TOOLS directory, where the addr.db and books.db are also
to be found.

  When a file with the same name already exists in that directory, the
newly exported records will be appended to the file. Attention: this
might change in a future release.

   Four different formats are supported. The first is the internal
format of PMmail's addr.db, the second the the ASCII comma-delimited
format which PMmail uses for export and import of addresses; the
difference is here that PMmail will always export the complete database
while ExpBook allows you to select the individual books you want to
export.

   LDIF is supported in two formats, one which I know from VPOP3
(http://www.pscs.co.uk) where each record is in a comma-delimited
line, and another with one line per field, identified by a label.
I have seen this format with Netscape Navigator's mail program.

   Both formats are currently not tested since I have currently
no working copy of either program. Test reports are welcome.
Please indicated "ExpBook" in the Subject when you send reports
by eMail.

   For use of the LDIF-Formats you can select how to extract surname
(sn) and given name from PMmail's RealName field: One uses either the
first or the last word of RealName as the given name or surname, and
treats all other words as belonging to the other category.

   Finally there is an option to map PMmail's home phone extension
as the field for the mobile phone number, as I do, and another to
translate the strings from the OS/2 code page 437 or 850 to the Windows
variant of ISO 8859-1. This latter option is needed e.g. when you want
to copy your OS/2 address book to the Windows version of PMmail.

   ExpBook 2.0 is written in REXX using DrDialog. Version 1.0 of this
program, named Exportbook.exe, was my very first program using DrDialog
and is very primitive, allowing only one book to be selected and
supporting only the internal addr.db format.

   Thanks to J Seder for the original idea.

Yours,
Lüko Willms