[pmmail-list] Exporting?

John Bridges pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Mon, 07 Apr 2003 15:46:50 -0700

I wanted to export all my past mail to UNIX mailbox format so I could feed it
all into the SpamAssassin learning module (to help it to define what is NOT
spam for me).

Well, I've wasted at least a day fiddling with different utilities, most can
handle some messages, none seem to handle them all. In particular they don't
like older messages, or messages missing a few headers (sent messages in
particular).

My best route was to use the import seperate MSG files into The Bat!, but it
only supports a few thousand messages before it crashes (I assume they
allocated a fixed size buffer for the list of filenames, really a pity). I
did not want to manually impott messages 30 or more times in small batches.

I wrote a program to put in the From user date at the top of each message and
then append them all. At first I tried to copy in the real user and date, but
other programs (like The Bat!) seemed so fussy about what is valid that I
gave up, and just put in root@root.com and todays date and time.

At best I can import around 70% of my messages.

Any advice?  any old scripts or utilities laying around?  Any OS is ok,
Linux, MacOS, MacOSX, I'm even willing to install OS/2 to do this if there is
some magic OS/2 only utility.