[pmmail-list] How to stop duplicate messages

Wayne Dunham pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 22:27:11 -0400

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 17:42:54 -0500, Larry Alkoff wrote:

>I don't know anything about the "remote login feature" of PMMail.
>Threre is nothing in the help files I can find
>unless this has to do with the "Receive Using Remote Control" option.
>
>I wasn't really able to understand what the remote control option was about
>from reading the help.
>Could you please explain?
>
>How would I "delete the duplicates prior to re-doing the download"?

  Remote control basically allows you complete control over what gets
downloaded and how that occurs.

  It does this by allowing you to get a list of the messages.  This
list just shows the various fields (to, subject, etc).  You can
manually go down that list marking messages to delete without fetching
the message, fetch the message, only fetch a copy of the message
leaving the original on the server, and several other functions.

  It comes in very handy for those situations where a single message
crashes PmMail and no matter what you can't seem to get past it.  You
just use remote control, delete the offending message from the server
and then you can go back and fetch your messages the normal way if you
choose.

  It also is very useful in a situation such as one that you have where
you've fetched a bunch of messages and your connection gets dropped,
computer locks up, etc and you don't want to refetch 40 messages you
already have.  Just use the remote control feature and delete the
messages right at the server level without fetching them.

  With long lists of messages in the hundreds such as you have, you'll
have to know the "tricks" on how to select individual items and ranges
of items in a list.  This is basically click the first message you want
in a range and then shift-click the last message you want in a range to
select a whole bunch of messages at once.  Or use Ctrl-click to select
many individual messages.

  The time I use remote control the most is when I'm travelling with my
laptop.  I look at my messages via remote control and delete the spam,
and fetch copies of messages I want to read right now.  This lets me
read the message while leaving it on the server so that I can fetch it
with my main computer when I get home if it is a message I want to
keep.

  Remote control is not something I use a lot, but it is very powerful
when you need it.

     Wayne Dunham
     waynedunham@email.com