[pmmail-list] An old confusing bug

mg pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 17:23:26 +0200 (CEST)

Hello, I'm new on this list but an old-timer as egards PMMAIL. I have tr=
ouble
with wrapping as explained below. I wonder if this is well known and if =
there is
an easy solution.
TIA
mg

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D
|I'm pretty sure that there is a bad but old and insidious bug lurking.
|
|The problem has to do with wrapping on Send, and maybe with Outbox.
|
|1.
|It is very convenient to have wrapping set ON. Otherwise, when you
|type a message, your typing goes out of the letter frame.
|
|2.
|Wrapping at a fixed length is not convenient: what is sent does not
|correspond to what you type. For instance, if you type in a 70
|character window and have a wrap set at 75, your message is nicely set
|with 70-char lines, but the sent message has lines which are 75 long.  =

|3.
|So you want to set the wrap at wysiwyg. Unfortunately this setting
|is bugged. Suppose your window is again 70. The message is nicely fit
|into the 70 char window. But what is sent is not framed at 70. Instead =

|it is perhaps 69. So most of the lines are unchanged, but in some
|cases one word overflows (wrongly) and it ends up in a line all by
|itself. This is the bug.
|
|4.
|Perhaps related to this bug is an Outbox problem. (I send in 2 steps). =

|First the message goes to the Outbox. Then the queued messages are
|sent off. If I look at the message in the Outbox, the window opens in
|a different width from the one that the message was composed in! (Note =

|that it is impossible to fix the width of the composition window: one
|needs to vary it depending on the message.

Maurice Gu=E9ron, BIOP/PMC, Ecole polytechnique, 91128 Palaiseau, France=

phone: 33/0:169 334 174; fax: 33/0:169 333 004
e-mail: mg@pmc.polytechnique.fr
In case of problems only, use: gueron@idf.ext.jussieu.fr