[pmmail-list] An old confusing bug

Maynard Riley pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 18 Apr 2003 06:16:50 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 17:23:26 +0200 (CEST), mg wrote:

>|Wrapping at a fixed length is not convenient: what is sent does not
>|correspond to what you type. For instance,

The wording here inspires me to double check the improbable. I use
fixed length wrapping most of the time, and I do so without ever a CR
('Enter' key) until I want to start a new paragraph, generally after a
blank line, which I'll do just now.

Never use 'Enter' within a paragraph. The line wrapping does that,
whether fixed length or wysiwyg. I exchange lots of repeatedly quoted
discussion mail, and this setting has been excellent. Fixed at 72
characters.

I do support a change in the program so that quoted lines are not
wrapped. Pretty soon those can get pretty bad looking; though it could
be an interesting matter to determine which lines are quoted, since you
might not want to restrict yourself to '>' character.

Regarding the orginal poster's concern about the experienced
inconvenience of fixed width wrapping; I understand perhaps that the
desire would be to have the real time text as typed wrap at the
specified line length, while typing. That consideration is worthy of
the next programmer's consideration, but it is very much a non-basic
activity to constantly check and redraw the window I expect.

Anyway,

-- Maynard