[pmmail-list] what is the purpose of reindexing?

Marty Rimpau pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 19 Aug 2003 22:49:41 -0700

Hi list, I have a problem, and I believe it is caused by my screen
reader, window-eyes, but trying to convince them of this is like
needlessly knocking your head against the wall, and the problem is
this, that when I tab from the list view of messages to the preview
pane of a given message with either winamp, or real player streaming,
or playing a .mp3, the stream or .mp3 cuts out, and it doesn't do this
with windows media player, yet, I can press the hot key assigned to
read to end for my screen reader, and this doesn't happen, and I have
not reindexed the folders and such in a long time, so I hid the idea to
reindex while a stream from real player was going, and while in the
window, the stream was studdering and stammering, yet, when I alt
tabbed back to winamp, since I have it playing real media streams, this
studdering stopped, and was wondering, if either corrupt messages, or
something like this might cause pm mail to exhibit this behaviour?
This behaviour is very frustrating to me, and I have well over 3000
messages in my saved folder, for future reference, but if a message is
corrupted, or something like that, might that cause pm mail to exhibit
this behaviour?  If there is a setting to make pm mail use less c p u
resources, where is it, because, for me, I don't care about nice
looking messages, but want to know why this annoying behaviour is
manifesting itself?  After reindexing everything, I found messages in
my sent folder, and my out box, which I deleted, but what can I do if
possible to repair pm mail, and make it perform with best results,
since this annoying streaming problem doesn't happen with windows media
player, just with winamp, and real player?  Now, I can get around this
in winamp by switching to the direct sound output plug-in, but I record
something every day, and with the direct sound output plug-in, the
stream skips, and does not start at the beginning like it should,
forcing me to go back to the nullsoft waveoutput plug-in.  If there is
anything in pm mail that is corrupted, what can I do to repair it,
because this is not a processor issue since this behaviour is not
exhibited with windows media player, but wish to find a solution to
this problem.  I'm using windows 98 se, 192 megs of ram, a 400 megs
processor, and pm mail version 2717.  I believe I got pm mail version
2010 back in 2000, but darn if I know what is making it act like this.
This may not help, since people won't be familiar with screen readers,
but I am using window-eyes 4.5, beta 3, but it has been like this no
matter which version of pm mail and window-eyes I use.  Somebody has to
have a solution, with all the programming engineers on the list.
Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give.
Marty