[pmmail-list] what is the purpose of reindexing?

Stephen Eickhoff pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Wed, 20 Aug 2003 23:05:33 -0400

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 21:24:11 +0700, Dr. Jeffrey Race wrote:

>On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 19:24:35 -0400 (EDT), Stan Sidlov wrote:
>
>>Assuming that your subject is the real question, the purpose of reindexing is
>to make sure that all
>>email messages in the folder are actually in the index. It is possible that due
>to a bug or two your
>>index may not have the proper count of items in the folder and isn't showing
>all the email messages.
>>This is especially true if you have your PMMAIL running and the computer gets a
>BSOD. Reindexing
>>recovers any messages that didn't get written to the index.
>
>In my case if I run the PMMail-Win98 I lose all the messages in PMMail-OS/2.
>I have to reindex to get them, and vv.

I didn't have this problem while I was switching my workstation from OS/2 to
Windows. Maybe it's a version incompatibility, as the OS/2 version is now
lagging. Maybe if you tried an older version of PMMail for Windows, one that
matched the OS/2 "vintage"?