[pmmail-list] SMTP mail receive

Brian Morrison pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 21 Aug 2003 08:51:34 +0100

--=.ncGXs)miEiU1QD

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 17:12:40 -0700 (MST) in
auto-000000544616@sohnen-moe.com "James Moe" <jimoe@sohnen-moe.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>   I was browsing the Receive options in Account Settings and looked
>   more closely at
> using SMTP to retrieve mail. A "Path to Incoming Mail"?
>   Can someone explain how this works in PMMail? It is most unlike any
>   SMTP I've ever
> seen.

Simple. Your MTA (or local SMTP server) receives mail from your ISP or
wherever and puts it into a defined directory like
/var/spool/mail/<user>

You then tell PMMail to get it from there, PMMail hoovers up absolutely
everything in that directory (so don't put anything but delivered mail
there) and incorporates it into its own account directory structure.

IOW, PMMail is not able to listen on port 25 to receive mail....

--

Brian Morrison

bdm at fenrir dot org dot uk

--=.ncGXs)miEiU1QD