[pmmail-list] Symantec Email Proxy deleted the following email messag

Tim Roberts pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 22 Aug 2003 09:54:19 -0700

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 09:50:24 -0400, Stephen Eickhoff wrote:

>On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 08:14:29 -0500, Bob Bassett wrote:
>
>>Anyone else been getting the following from Symantec 2003?
>>
>>Symantec Email Proxy deleted the following email message:
>>
>>From: "Stephen Eickhoff" <operagost@email.com>
>>To: "pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com"
>><pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com>
>>Subject: [pmmail-list] what is the purpose of reindexing?
>
>It seems someone's virus has decided to pick on me ...

You ain't seen nothin' yet.  I got back yesterday afternoon from a 6-day
vacation.  To my great horror, I found I had a total of 3,104 unread e-mail
messages.  That's about 10X my usual volume.

Of that total, just over 200 were legitimate.  About 700 were actually copies
of the SoBig virus.  ALL of the rest were so-called "courtesy" automated
messages from mail handlers helpfully telling me that I had tried to send
them a virus.

Folks, if you administer an e-mail server with virus detection, PLEASE turn
off these stupid automated responses!  ALL e-mail viruses created in the last
5 years choose random names for both the sender and the recipient.  I
GUARANTEE YOU that the name in the "From:" header is NOT the infected person,
and sending an e-mail message to that address does nothing but cause
annoyance and confusion.

--
- Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.