[pmmail-list] [mkc] bcc: Inconvenience

Dean Boulding pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 28 Aug 2003 07:38:58 +0700

Hi Carl,

You are just about right, at least on my computer (Win2k).  Alt-V works, but Ctl-V
does not.  Someone apparently made a decision about which items appear in which of
these views.

In fact someone suggested Alt-V a while ago, and I tried it and it worked (I had
earlier only tried Ctl-V).  So I thought we had this solved some time ago!  Didn't
want to interrupt everyone else, though.

Thanks for taking the time to put together a lucid answer.

Dean

P.S.  The other "undocumented feature" I was describing was a completely different
situation, nothing to do with looking at headers.

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 17:41:32 -0400 (EDT), Carl Gehr wrote:

|On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 13:16:43 -0700 (MST), James Moe wrote:
|
|>  That is as it should be. BCC is *BLIND* carbon copy, meaning it cannot be seen.
You
|>only see BCC entries in the compose window. The message in the Sent folder is how
it
|>was sent (and ultimately received), not how it was composed.
|
|No, I disagree.  And, it should not matter which OS.  [And, it does not
|seem to matter for Dave.]
|
|Let's be sure we are all talking about the SAME COPY of a message.
|There are THREE possibilities:
|
|1) The compose window:  This is BEFORE the message is sent.  There is a
|single window for 'cc' and 'bcc' that alternately displays the
|recipients.  Some to be placed in the transmitted message [cc] and some
|to be 'hidden' [bcc] in the transmitted message.
|
|2) The Sent Mail Folder:  This is where PMMail puts the message
|as/after it is transmitted to the ISP [or Mail server, if you prefer].
|This is a complete COPY of what was SENT to the ISP.  It will ONLY have
|the header records that are created by PMMail.  This copy of the
|message has/will not see nor be seen on the Internet.  This copy DOES
|have the 'bcc:' header records and in my OS/2 [and in Dave's Win2K]
|system, viewing the "Full Header" [or the "Full Message"] WILL show
|that header record.  And, an aside, if you are looking at the message
|only in the PMMail viewer, you will not see the 'bcc' list.  You MUST
|either:
|	Window->View Full Header [Ctrl-V]
|	Window->View Full Message [Alt-V]
|or [at least in OS/2]
|	Click the 'toggle' tool-bar icon.
|	  [It's the one that looks like a square with
|	  five small horizontal lines through the top
|          half of the icon.]
|The normal message viewing window/panel does *not* have a 'bcc' field.
|So, even for this copy, the 'bcc' list will not show without the extra
|'clicks' just mentioned.

|3) The copy of the message that has gone out on the network and been
|echoed back to the sender, either because it has the sender in the
|'To:' or the 'cc:' or the 'bcc:' field.  Because this version of the

|- pmmail-list - The PMMail Discussion List ---------------------------
|To POST to the list, send your message to:
|pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com

|with the first line of the message body being...

Dean Boulding, Jennifer Crocker, and kids
Jakarta Indonesia