[pmmail-list] Catching passed email file in VisualBasic or VBS

Steve Barber pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sun, 07 Dec 2003 22:45:29 -0500

Back in my OS/2 days, I wrote a REXX pgm that PMMail would
call on all inbound emails and pass the email file name as
a parameter.  My program would read the incoming email, one
line at a time, and if it was from a particular form
submission on my web page.  If it was one of those form
submissions, it would parse out all the form's fields and
write an html file based on the form's data.

Now that I'm on Win98, I've managed to rewrite the thing in
Visual Basic 6 ... works fine, but I haven't been able to
figure out how to get it to expect a passed in parameter
(the email's file name) like I could do in REXX ... VB 6 is
ok if you want to build windows object stuff, but it's not
easy to understand how to write a simple procedural program
like it was in REXX.  It's almost like once they figured
out how to get VB to do windows with a person using the
window as a UI, the forgot that it's sometimes nice to do
old fashioned procedural programs that don't have a UI.

I've tried the same thing in VBScript .. and can read and
write files, but can't figure out how to catch that passed
in file name.

So has anybody done that with VB 6 or with VBScript?  Any
clues on how to do that in either language ... but
preferrably in VB 6 ... would be most welcome.

Thanks, SteveB