[pmmail-list] spam)

Martin Moran pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Mon, 08 Dec 2003 23:04:06 -0700

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 21:35:16 +0100, Vertaalbureau de Vos wrote:

>Remember the old days when your fax machine got flooded by spam? You had to
>clear out the mess at the fax machine AND buy (expensive) rolls of thermal
>paper so the spammers could print their advertisements.

I can remember those days.  Those were the days of 2400 or (gasp!) 9600
baud fax machines.  They read the document AS it was being faxed over -
great stuff.

Before they learned to block their number, we used to take their fax, and
tape a sheet of paper to the end - the sheet had, in big block letters,
"Don't Do This" written on it in a fat black marker.  As the first sheet
was scanned, then pushed out, we taped it to the *other* end of the Don't
Do This sheet, thereby making a continuous loop.

We usually let that run for about 15 minutes.  We made sure our telephone
number was clearly visible, so that we could play "not my department,
hold on I will transfer you" for any irate phone calls.  That was always
good for another 4 or 5 minutes until the guy hung up.

Now, of course, they look you up on the internet and send the CEO a
complaint.  This is truly the downside of transparency and instant
communication - you can't match wits with someone horribly under-armed
and get away with it.

I give your 2 Eurocents back for the thanks of some good memories, and
also give you two Canadian cents.  I think that means you made about 50%
on the deal.  Not bad considering today's interest rates.

--
Martin Moran		ommoran@telusplanet.net
Edmonton, Alberta

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/ommoran/publickey.txt

"When you're caffeinated, all is right with the world"