[pmmail-list] how many addresses can pm mail send safely at once?

Carl Gehr pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 23 Dec 2003 10:55:52 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 05:04:22 -0800, Marty Rimpau wrote:

>Hi list, I have two groups I send email to, and one of them contains
>109 names or aelias's, but I keep getting messages back from
>destinations I'm not familiar with, and don't know if this is because
>pm mail is over loaded with addresses or what, and I'm wondering if it
>would be better to have smaller groups?  It seems that pm mail should
>be able to process these addresses, but many times, I get messages back
>from domaines that appear to be in great britain, yet, I can't find
>those addresses in my address book, one such address is
>01asha@earthlink.net, but can't find who that address belongs to, plus,
>there are lots of those mime encapsulated messages to deal with, so is
>pm mail the problem, or, is it invallid email addresses that are the
>problem?  Thanks for helping in advance.
>Marty

Please don't take this the wrong way, but some questions pop into my
own mind about what you are doing:

1)  Why are you sending large volumes of messages to IDs that you do
not know?  This is what spammers do!

2)  Do you have all of these unknown IDs because you are somehow adding
the ID of anyone listed in an E-Mail that you receive added to your
address book?

3)  Have you tried sending to this massive list using 'bcc' lists so
the IDs do not show up anywhere except at the recipient POP server.

Part of the reason I ask these questions is because I am still quite
aware of all of the spam and viruses that I received earlier this year
from IDs that I did not know, many listing *my* ID as the sender.  A
number of the recent viruses just go through the victim's address book
and pull anything that looks like an E-Mail ID and buries the ID in the
recipient list.  One ID is randomly picked to be the Sender.

My suggestion:  Go through your list and purge those IDs that you do
not know.  Otherwise, you have, in essence, become a spammer.

Now, maybe you have a completely valid reason for doing what you are
doing.  But, my knee-jerk reaction is that you should clean up your
list before you just make the situation worse.