[pmmail-list] Addresses Import/Export

John Angelico pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Mon, 29 Dec 2003 15:47:21 +1100 (AEDT)

>Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 17:48:47 -0500
>From: "Dr. Jeffrey Race" <jrace@attglobal.net>
>Subject: Re: [pmmail-list] inputting string of addresses to PMMail from text file

>>  PMMail imports addresses using a CSV (comma separated variable) format. The online
>>Help->Address_Book_Import/Export gives all the fields that must exist.
>>  You can export an address book to see what it must look like and then convert your
>>text file for match it. Just to be safe, place all fields, including empty ones, in
>>double quotes (" ").
>
>OK I booted to Win98, ran PMMail2000, and exported an address book to
>confirm the CSV format.   It works BUT the problem is every address in
>every address book (I have ten) is listed in a single file.   There is
>no apparent way to distinguish what record comes from what book.

<sigh> True, and true in the OS/2 version too.

I have converted my address book to a BaseBook with all my addresses, plus
shadows (sorry for the Win people here) in other "address books"
Advantages:
a) maintenance - only one place to maintain addresses
b) AFAICR Pmmail doesn't export the shadows
c) I can create shadows as required in as many different "books" as I need

>Example (a few lines from the output file):

[chomp] examples and question I can't answer.

>On a related topic, I am running PMMail 1.96 for OS/2 and have never
>upgraded because it works so well for me, and I often find that
>upgrades break something.   What are my options up from 1.96, and
>what are the benefits and disadvantages of changing?
>
>For example, I do NOT want to view html or ever send html.  However
>the addressbook import idea (not in 1.96) is interesting.

That's not a worry. Later versions are less at risk of what were called
killer HTML emails, which would close up the program without warning in the
middle of fetching mail. You couldn't really figure out which one did it
without a lot of fidlding around and web access to your mail server, so you
wound up with various multiples of emails.

I am on 2.20.2382 latest OS/2 version available I believe.

A list of intenal bugfixes must be available somewhere...I can't even
thrash around among my archives from this list because I have cleaned out
the Augean Stables - more like Asterix than like Hercules though.

Best regards
John Angelico
OS/2 SIG
os2@melbpc.org.au or