[pmmail-list] Backup Strategy was Digest (01/20/2003 09:01) (#2003-430)

John Bridges pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 05:35:45 -0800

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003 12:40:30 +0000 (GMT), Simon Bowring wrote:

>> You cannot beat CDR as a standard medium that won't require special
>> software to read in 25 years.
>Wow!  I'd be amazed if any current media has (easily available)
>(h/w or s/w) in *25* years time!  Have any formats ever lasted
>that long?  Will they ever?

The LP.

You can still buy them, you can still buy the players.

I'm CERTAIN the same will be true with CDs. It's been around for over 20
years, and will likely be around at least that long again. It's just too
popular as a music format to disappear soon.

The only thing to change that would be if there is a massive, high quality
database of all music ever released on CD that was extremely cheap and fast
to access.  It's hard to imagine such a thing without the complete
destruction of the existing music publishing industry, and that seems VERY
unlikely in 25 years.