[pmmail-list] Problem sending mail

Dr. Jeffrey Race pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Wed, 25 Jun 2003 21:37:33 +0700

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 08:04:27 +0100, Xav wrote:
>I'd appreciate the instructions :-))     The smtp mail server has been
>having problems.  What I can't understand is the success sending to
>some mail addresses and then others getting the error - this after
>creating new accounts.

OK Xav this is the protocol

 YOU SEND FROM PROMPT        -> [E:\]telnet CLASSIC.ASIANET.CCO.TH 25
  {insert name or IP address
   of your SMTP server}
 YOU RECEIVE ACK             <- 220 mx.asianet.co.th ESMTP qmaill YIT/20030523
 YOU SEND                    -> HELO JRACE@ATTGLOBAL.NET
  {use sending e-mail
   address}
 YOU RECEIVE 250 "OK TO SEND"<- 250 mx.asianet.co.th
 YOU SEND                    -> MAIL FROM: <jrace@attglobal.net>
 YOU RECEIVE 250 "OK TO SEND"<- 250 ok
 YOU SEND                    -> rcpt to: <jrace@attglobal.net>
  {destination inside  <>)
 YOU RECEIVE 250 "OK TO SEND"<- 250 ok
 YOU SEND                    -> data
  {This means "data
   follows"}
 YOU RECEIVE 354 "OK TO DATA"<- 354 go ahead
 YOU SEND MSG TXT	    -> test
 YOU TERMINATE WITH . CRLF   -> .

 YOU RECEIVE 250 "OK ACK MSG"<- 250 ok 1056550716 qp 7338
 YOU CLOSE SESSION           -> QUIT
  {remote server closes
   session}

Watch what error messages come back.  A full listing is in RFC2821
section 4.2.3

 <http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2821.html>

See also RFC 1893.

Quick summary courtesy Alan Brown:

First digit should match first digit of actual SMTP code.
MSSC - Enhanced Code   Meaning
        2.x.x           Success
        4.x.x           Persistent Transient Failure
        5.x.x           Permanent Failure
        x.0.x           Other/Undefined
        x.1.x           Addressing Status
        x.2.x           Mailbox Status
        x.3.x           Mailsystem Status
        x.4.x           Network/Routing Status
        x.5.x           Delivery Protocol Status
        x.6.x           Content/Media Status
        x.7.x           Security/Policy Status

        x.0.0           Other (e.g. 501 5.0.0 Bad HELO parameter syntax)
        x.1.0           Other Address Status
        x.1.1           Bad Destination Mailbox
        x.1.2           Bad Destination System
        x.1.3           Bad Destination Syntax
        x.1.4           Ambiguous Address
        x.1.5           Destination Valid
        x.1.6           Moved, No Forwarding Address
        x.1.7           Bad Sender Syntax
        x.1.8           Bad Sender System

        x.2.0           Other Mailbox Status
        x.2.1           Mailbox Disabled
        x.2.2           Mailbox Full
        x.2.3           Message Too Long
        x.2.4           Relay Expansion Problem

        x.3.0           System Status
        x.3.1           System Full
        x.3.2           System Not Accepting Network Messages
        x.3.3           System Not Capable of Feature
        x.3.4           Message Too Long
        x.3.5           System Configuration Error

        x.4.0           Network/Routing Problem
        x.4.1           No Answer from Host
        x.4.2           Bad Connection
        x.4.3           Directory Server Failed
        x.4.4           Unable to Route
        x.4.5           Mailsystem Congestion
        x.4.6           Routing Loop Detected
        x.4.7           Delivery Time Expired

        x.5.0           Protocol Status
        x.5.1           Invalid Command
        x.5.2           Syntax Error
        x.5.3           Too Many Recipients
        x.5.4           Invalid Command Arguments
        x.5.5           Wrong Protocol Version

        x.6.0           Media Error / Bad Content
        x.6.1           Media Not Supported
        x.6.2           Required Conversion is Prohibited / Bad Address
                          use after end of DATA
        x.6.3           Required Conversion is Not Supported
        x.6.4           Lossy Conversion Performed
        x.6.5           Conversion Failed

        x.7.0           Security Status / Site Policy
        x.7.1           Refused, Delivery Not Authorized
        x.7.2           Refused, Relaying/Expansion Prohibited
        x.7.3           Conversion Not Possible
        x.7.4           Conversion Not Supported
        x.7.5           Cryptographic Failure
        x.7.7           Message Integrity Failure/
                               including bad headers.

Codes  (SMTP only uses a few 2xx's 4xx's and 5xx's - see RFC2821 plus 521)
0xx -
1xx - Positive / Informational
2xx - Success
3xx - Intermediate / Redirection
4xx - Temporary Negative or Client Error (SMTP, HTTP ..)
4xx - Failed, with connection closed (SNPP)
5xx - Permanent Negative or Server Error (SMTP, HTTP ..)
5xx - Failed, but continue session (SNPP especially)
6xx -
7xx - Unsuccessful two-way transaction
8xx - Successful two-way transaction
9xx - Queued two-way tranaction

x0x - Syntax or Misc
x1x - Information or Group
x2x - Connection  or Item
x3x - Authentication or Distribution
x4x - Unspecified or Accept
x5x - Filesystem
x6x - Action Taken, Pending further action(s) / Queued
x7x - Awaiting Closure
x8x - Completed or Nonstandard
x9x - Debugging

Let us know what you discover