[pmmail-list] UTF-8

Simon Bowring pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 07 Mar 2003 17:18:51 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 07 Mar 2003 15:14:08 +0100 (MEZ), L.Willms wrote:

>  Actually the native mode of Unicode is 32 bit; UTF-16 is the 16 bit
>encoding,
Well ok, it's true that unicode values are strictly 32-bit, but
I've never come across such an implementation. Perhaps I should
have said "normal" not "native"!

All of unicode's "Basic Multilingual Plane" fit into the first 65536
values (i.e. 16-bits), which is supposed to be designed to include
all scripts in active modern use (I don't know if it really does or
not!). Recent Windows versions, Mac OS, Java et al all use this
16-bit encoding AFAIK.

>The Unicode fans have managed to reproduce the mess of
>the ASCII-Variants and ISO-8859-Parts on a higher level...
LOL :-) True, but perhaps a little unfair! After all, unicode is
intended to be *universal*, and is far more than just a character
set (it describes rules, behaviour and glyph-names as well as
the glyphs themselves, and the different encoding schemes).
Also, since unicode is a superset of all those ASCII and ISO
variants, you might expect it to have a superset of all their
problems (and plenty of new ones too! :^)

Simon