[pmmail-list] Missing Message-ID

L.Willms pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 21 Mar 2003 20:18:11 +0100 (MEZ)

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 14:17:06 +0000 (GMT), Simon Bowring wrote:

>>   I would also like my eMail client to generate message-IDs, but one
>> has to take into account that this will probably put the additional
>> burden on the end user to configure this correctly so that the
message
>> ID is really unique within the domain which the end user is using.

> Not really. PMMail's companion newsreader, PMINews (which is only
> available for OS/2 and is no longer developed) and which was written
> by the same people (Southside) does generate Message-IDs - there are
> many well known algorithms for generating such IDs which are very
> likely to be globaly unique.

  There has to be an agreement with the ISP resp. eMail-provider on how
to qualify the message ID, and that is a complication for end users,
especially when confronted with some of these huge providers where you
can't contact any knowlegable people any more, but run into overcrowded
call centers instead.

   The Internet mail system does not provide a simply system for end
systems to generate unique message IDs, as ZCONNECT e.g. is doing.

Yours,
Lüko Willms