[pmmail-list] The rat's leaving the ship...

Günter Minnerup pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Sat, 3 May 2003 00:15:11 +1000

After much thought and hesitation, I'm abandoning PMMail and have just
migrated my message base to The Bat! and registered the program.
I liked PMMail, and have used it for about two years, but in the end
it was the combination of a number of niggling problems plus no
apparent prospect of further development soon which made me switch to
something that is reasonably similar in "look and feel", has better
features, and allowed me to migrate fairly painlessly. Here's just a
random selection of the things that irritated me:

Problems with attachments - some don't open, some were corrupted (I've
tested the same attachments, copied from my PMM folders, with the Bat
and no problems)

Poor handling of HTML mail - now I hate it, and never send HTML
messages, but lots of other people and companies do, and I just want
to read them as they were intended to be read.

Poor handling of signatures and templates - I want to be able to define different
default signatures for different folders, not click through a scroll
box every time.

Poor memory management - every now and then, and increasingly often
with my growing message base (20,000+), I had to do a reset before
being able to read my new mail.

Poor handling of multiple accounts: no shared folders.

Poor handling of different connection modes: it's either DUN or LAN
for each account, no flexibility.

There were many things I liked about PMM, but most of these are now
standard in just about every email client. Two years or so ago, I
researched the field and PMM won out. Now almost everything else is
light years ahead. You can't afford to stand still, and PMM has stood
still for too long...

Regards,
Günter

Günter Minnerup
Centre for European Studies/School of History
University of New South Wales
Sydney NSW 2052
Tel. (+61 2) 9385 1363 (work)
Tel. (+61 2) 9398 3646 (home)