[pmmail-list] OT Gender (was Re: Pendatic but Wrong!)

Simon Bowring pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Wed, 07 May 2003 12:32:08 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 06 May 2003 22:47:44 +0200 (CEST), Frank Winkler @home wrote:

>Also wrong IMO. Both words exist, whereby the male "virus" is what we're
>talking about here and the neutral "virus" is the alien thing that causes
>serious diseases :( ...

How did that happen!?  The word for the biological (i.e. sometimes
pathenogenic) "wetware" virus came first; so I would have expected
the "software" virus (which is named after it's wetware
counterpart) to follow it's gender too!  Or is this just a
convention to distingiush between the different usages?

Simon