[pmmail-list] The rat's leaving the ship...

Paul Hodges pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 08 May 2003 22:16:25 +0100

On Thu, 08 May 2003 16:51:44 +0700, Jeffrey Race wrote:

>  These are the only two that look remotely useful.  Since I have
>  been living blissfully without them (not even knowing what they
>  are), please explain what they are and what they would do.

>  >* Up-to-date character set support (iso-8859-15 and Unicode - it's on
>  >the point of getting embarrassing;

In Europe, PMMail can't handle the Euro currency symbol at all; and a
significant amount of non-English mail is now encoded using Unicode,
as the ISO-8859 series is now being deprecated for Internet use.  If
you only use American English, you probably won't notice, but the
rest of the world certainly will.

>  >* Disposition notification (standardised at last);

The standard way of getting notification of delivery and "reading"
(display, that is).  There were several non-standards around
previously, but now most clients handle the standard properly.  Not
all people want these, of course.

And that applies to all the other things; but many people also do
want them, and in the end a successful product needs to have what
many people want, not just a few.

Paul Hodges
QBS Software Ltd