[pmmail-list] the dream

Tim Roberts pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 13 May 2003 14:45:01 -0700

On Thu, 08 May 2003 16:21:48 -0500 (CDT), Maynard Riley wrote:

>Nice list, Paul.
>
>I'd also like to get rid of the X-Mailer: header line; it interferes
>with proper anonymity/privacy.

That's an interesting statement; I'm not sure I see what you're getting at.

Anonymity on the Internet (or on e-mail at least) is going to have to come to
an end, and I believe that is a good thing.  There is no way to stop the spam
pandemic as long as complete anonymity is available.  Once e-mail has to be
authenticated to be delivered, it will be possible to trace a spam back to its
source and sic the authorities on it.  Until then, it's just hopeless.

Filtering might keep me from SEEING it, but it doesn't do anything to STOP it.

--
- Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.