[pmmail-list] PMMail does not understand MIME format

Tim Roberts pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 10:47:52 -0800

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 11:08:01 -0700 (MST), James Moe wrote:

>On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 09:09:35 -0800, Tim Roberts wrote:
>
>>That little nugget is extremely common in MIME messages, and it is both
>>valid and correct: a mail reader that handles MIME will not show it.  And,
>>ordinarily, PMMail does not show it to me.  However, it does in this case.
>>
>It showed it to me in this version. Since the warning message is part of
>the text/plain section, that is what I expect.

No, it is NOT part of the text/plain section!  It is part of the message
body, immediately following the headers, but outside of any MIME section.
According to the MIME spec, a MIME-compliant mailer is supposed to ignore
any text in this region (and PMMail usually does).  In fact, the MIME spec
suggests you put exactly this kind of warning message there for non-MIME
mailers.

Here an excerpt from the message in question, starting towards the end of
the headers.  The text/plain part starts with "7 November 2003".