[pmmail-list] Ultra simple junk email filter

Ralph Cohen pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 13:01:39 -0400

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 08:57:53 +0100 (BST), Dave Saville wrote:

>>So assuming legit mail got filtered earlier, then that's still a
>>possible 50 false positives.
>
>Silly me it's the other way around - of the 1000 messages of legit
>mail only 50 *have* my name in the To:

Hi Dave,

The key to eliminating false positives are the white lists.  I also
receive huge amounts of email without my name in the To: field - such
as messages from this list - but they are white-filtered before they
get to the Junk filter.  When I find something in my Junk folder that
doesn't belong there, I adjust my white list filters to trap it first.
I also examine any emails that get through my white lists and junk
filter and determine what need to be made in the filters to route the
messages to the correct folders.

Ralph