[pmmail-list] Another simple filter

Ralph Cohen pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 04:48:24 -0400

After examining the junk emails that slipped through my white lists and
one-line junk mail filter that looks for headers not containing my
first name in the To: field, I added another simple set of conditions
that catches most of the remaining junk emails.  These junk emails have
my name in the To: field and in the body of the message so they weren't
caught by the old one-line filter.  Unlike  "legitimate" emails,
however, most of the personalized junk emails use a database to
customize their messages so I created a simple filter to look for the
names of the data fields used to generate those messages.  The two most
common are lname (last name) and fname (first name).  Now my junk mail
filter contains the following two lines:

!(h.to="ralph")|
b="lname"|b="fname"

Over the past couple of days, this new filter trapped most of the
remaining personalized junk mails missed by the old filter but it still
let several "legitimate" emails through that had not yet been white
listed.  The junk emails still being missed are the few that are
personalized but don't use database field names.  I have a pretty good
idea about how to filter those out too I need to gather bigger sampling
to be sure.

Ralph Cohen