[pmmail-list] Filtering with POPFile

Dave pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Mon, 08 Sep 2003 09:14:56 -0500

As I use POPFile, I like it more and more.  Just identifying
sobig.F viruses alone makes it useful.  Thanks to this group for
pointing it out to me.

I have found myself wondering, though, what is the most efficient
combo of POPFile and PMMail.  I have taken to using magnets for my
closest friends.  My thought is that this reduces the processing
load that POPFile produces since it does not further evaluate the
emails.  Is this true?  (I am using 0.18.3)  I am sending my
friends into a special friends bucket.

I have then created filters in PMMail that look for the
"X-Text-Classification:" header that POPFile is adding.  I am then
"stop filtering".  My thought is that this will reduce the work
that PMMail is doing.  In one account, the email is being moved to
a friends folder first.

Given that I am using a number of PMMail filters and using POPFile
to "pre-filter", am I reducing my computer's workload with this
technique?

Dave