[pmmail-list] PMMailW crashes -corrupting DropBoxes

Hazen Woods pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Wed, 10 Sep 2003 22:59:33 -0500

Running v. 2.20.2717, under Windows 2000 Pro, SP2 installed in same directory with PMMail/2 on an
HPFS partition  At least once a day, usually more, the computer hangs, mouse freezes and the only
way to restart is the switch on the box.  C-A-D does not work.  Following each freeze I boot to OS/2
command prompt (by interrupting boot with Alt-F1, then F2) and run CHKDSK /F.  Always CHKDSK
removes a corrupted TEMP directory and the DROPBOX in at least 2 of the 3 accounts that are open
at the time.

These freezes appear to occur only when PMMAil is in fetch mode.  It can happen when nothing else
is running and the screen saver is on.  I don't remember the last time the system froze when PMMail
was NOT running.  For example, I downloaded a file that took over 12 hours, 40 minutes night before
last without a hiccup.  Sometimes PMMail will fetch 5 or 6 times without a freeze.  Sometimes it will
freeze during each consecutive fetch.  (Once I started re-indexing the folders after each freeze, the
average time between freezes dramatically increased.)  I have some rather large message folders
but can't determine as of yet whether the problem occurs when the incoming is filtering to these large
folders.

I have Norton Firewall, Norton AV and POPFile running, however, the problem occurs with or without
the Norton products and started before I installed POPFile.

I just learned that the DROPBOXES are where PMMail applies the filters so I thought with that
information I would seek the source of the problem and, hopefully, a solution.

TIA for any and all suggestions.

Hazen Woods
Austin, TX USA
eCS and Win2k Pro