[pmmail-list] PMMailW crashes -corrupting DropBoxes

Hazen Woods pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 11 Sep 2003 11:40:57 -0500

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 01:28:24 -0400, Ralph Cohen wrote:

>>On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 22:59:33 -0500, Hazen Woods wrote:
>>
>>>Running v. 2.20.2717, under Windows 2000 Pro, SP2 installed
>>>in same directory with PMMail/2 on an HPFS partition  At
>>>least once a day, usually more, the computer hangs, mouse
>>>freezes and the only way to restart is the switch on the box.
>>>C-A-D does not work.  Following each freeze I boot to OS/2
>>>command prompt (by interrupting boot with Alt-F1, then F2)
>>>and run CHKDSK /F.  Always CHKDSK removes a corrupted
>>>TEMP directory and the DROPBOX in at least 2 of the 3 accounts
>>>that are open at the time.
>><snip>
>>
>>Hi Hazen,
>>
>>Were you previously able to run this setup reliably or did you just set
>>it up? Are you running PMMail over a network on a shared HPFS drive or
>>are you running it under Win2K on a local HPFS drive?  If you are using
>>a local HPFS drive, what driver are you using to access the HPFS
>>partition?  I seem to remember that the old pinball.sys workaround
>>stopped working reliably with later service packs of WinNT and Win2k.

Ralph,

I've had this setup for over a year.  It worked (fairly) reliably until recently.  Mine is a stand alone box
with Win2k (with pinball) on NTFS, eCS on HPFS.  All data files, etc are on HPFS partitions. What
driver to access the HPFS partition - - not sure what you mean?  I'm using pinball.  Is there another
alternative to that?   Both varieties of PMMail are in same directory on HPFS.  Win2K is at service
pack 2 and has been for some time.

Recent changes.  A few months ago I changed HardDrives and increased the partition sizes.  The
partition on which PMMail is located is 5 GB.  Some say the limit for pinball is 4 GB, but I think it is
actually 8GB.  Anyway, the only other change was the addition of NOrton System Works 2003, which
was installed about 3 weeks before the change in HD but seems to have been cause of all sorts of
oddities.  I was told at a local Computer repair place to get rid of that.  I removed it and got rid of all of
its vestiges hidden throughout Win2k (I think) and reinstalled the AV only.

My impression is that the problems with PMMail arose about the time Norton SystemWorks 2003 was
installed.

 Any ideas that come to mind based on this additional information would be greatly appreciated.

Others on this and other sites (maybe you are one of them) suggest a better solution than pinball is to
change from HPFS to FAT32.  Do you have any suggestions as to where to read up on the pros and
cons of FAT32?  Or any mailing lists or newsgroup as well?

Thanks again for your help.

Hazen Woods
Austin, TX USA
eCS and Win2k Pro