[pmmail-list] SpamAssassin header bloat

Carl Gehr pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Mon, 15 Sep 2003 14:16:25 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 10:21:48 -0700, Tim Roberts wrote:
>>On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 14:53:34 +0200, Christian Nordmann wrote:
>>
>>  Does anyone know whose SpamAssassin is doing this?
>
>It's not in the copy I got.  All I see is the SpamAssassin report from our
>server, which does not deliver the X-Spam-Report header.  I'm guessing your
>ISP is "helping" you by providing this as a service.
>
>Of course, if you're using PMMail, why do you care?  The headers are all
>hidden by default.
>
>--
>- Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
>  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Well, I use PMMail and lines and lines are there in the messages I
receive!

I know that my ISP is *not* adding it because this list is the only
mail source where the additional headers appear in my InBox.  If my
ISPs [both of them] decide a message is spam, they quarantine it along
with any viruses seen and, should I choose to look at it I can.  Or if
I choose not to, it automatically disappears.  [This is MY choice of
how it should work.]

And, I agree, it is getting totally absurd and totally out of hand!  At
most, as SINGLE line should be quite adequate for any one who is intent
on controlling a filter based on this.

Even if it is accurate [and not forged], I would not use it to control
a filter.  So, I would also appreciate it if the 'owner' of whatever
task is creating all of this would cease and desist!

And, FWIW, just because I cannot see it, does not eliminate the extra:
	* Storage
	* Transfer time
that it imposes on each and every message.

Also, to answer Tim's specific question before it is repeated:
  I care about storage because:
	* It takes space in my ISP MailBox.
	* For those messages that I decide to keep for future
reference,
	it is MY HD space that is wasted.
  I care about transfer time because I want to minimize the traffic.

CG