[pmmail-list] Spam software

Brian Morrison pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Wed, 24 Sep 2003 11:38:23 +0100

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 06:27:29 -0400, Steve Ewing wrote:

>On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 15:14:03 +1000, Andrew Z wrote:
>
>>G'day folks,
>>
>>What do people here use with PMMail inorder to filter out spam email?
>>I'm using the windows version.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Andrew.
>
>PopFile - a Bayesian filter that learns your preferences
>(http://popfile.sourceforge.net/).  I was hitting 99% accuracy.
>
>It requires that you run Perl.  It is very accurate once it is
>"trained" (the first hundred messages is all it takes).  Although it
>is more versatile than as I use it, I set up just two "buckets": spam
>and allow: it adds a line to the message header, and I use that to
>filter on in PMMail.

SA Proxy (www.bloomba.com) is good, it uses SpamAssassin as its base
and runs as a local POP3 proxy. The only snag is that if you enable the
network tests (DNSBL etc) it can freeze because of some issues with the
Perl functions in the windows dlls, these tests can however be turned
off.

If you can receive mail via a machine with an OS that can run
SpamAssassin proper, together with Distributed Clearing Centre, Razor
and Pyzor spam reporting software too, then the latest SA version 2.60
is excellent, easily exceeding 99% rejection once trained on a
reasonable collection of spam and ham.

Have a look at news.spamassassin.org, there is also a new SA based
proxy called No Spam Today that has  a free version that can cope with
a small number of email accounts.

--
Brian Morrison                                       bdm@fenrir.org.uk
              do you know how far this has gone?