[pmmail-list] Spam Filtering - HOW?

Dave pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Fri, 26 Sep 2003 15:50:29 -0500

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 09:45:59 -0700 (PDT), Steve Wendt wrote:

>On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 12:06:24 -0400, Ralph Cohen wrote:
>
>>As you can see, I filter more on message bodies
>>(body="penis"&body="enlarg")|
>>h.subject="fuck"|
>
>How many spam filters did this message trigger?  ;)

What, your reply or Ralph's message?  Both were filtered as
"groups" with 100% certainty by POPFile:

Ralph's:

Bucket   Probability
groups   1.000000
spam   7.806299e-229
inbox   2.816340e-261
friends   0.000000
virus   0.000000

Steve's reply:

Bucket   Probability
groups   1.000000
virus   6.212139e-050
inbox   1.586666e-165
spam   3.218841e-177
friends   1.290056e-215

The more POPFile works, the more certain it becomes.  Part of the
effort is essentially training it to create a whitelist and a
blacklist.  These days it is rarely wrong.  When it is, the
problem is often that I have friends who are also members of
groups.  When they reply to me, their reply is somewhere between a
friend and a group.  How PMMail interprets it is dependent on
where I put my filters.

SPAM and viruses are rarely mis-interpreted and PMMail effectively
filters them to the trashcan. :)

Dave