[pmmail-list] the 3 choices regarding authentication for receiving mail

James Moe pmmail-list@blueprintsoftwareworks.com
Thu, 01 Apr 2004 11:04:13 -0700

Marty Rimpau wrote:
> Hi list, I noticed that there are 3 radio buttons for authentication,
> when receiving mail, for receiving mail, and I've always left mine on
> pass words, but what do the other choices mean, and might this be a
> partial cause of my error messages,

   Apop and RPA allow authentication with the server using an encrypted
password. When "Password" is selected, the account's name and password are
sent in the clear. Anybody can see what your password is. Astoundingly this
is the only choice offered by most ISPs!
   APOP and RPA use a different mechanism to verify you have access to the
account. The password is sent in a form that is extremely difficult to
unravel by spies.
   All of this occurs only during authentication and has no further effect
once you are verified. So, no, it is not a cause of your other problems.
   It's easy enough to discover if your ISP supports APOP/RPA. Just select
one and see if you can access your account.

--
jimoe at sohnen-moe dot com